For diving activities, there are the well-known Da Bai Sha, Shilang, Chai Kou on Green Island. Chai Kou and Shilang are the areas for beginner divers. The Kuroshio Current flows northward near the Shilang diving area. The coral reefs on the shore and the coral reefs in the shallow bay are closely connected. The intertidal zone has an active ecosystem with precious hard and soft corals and small fish swimming in between, which creates an elegant undersea scene. Every April, you can see schools of flying fish jumping on the surface of the sea, and the beauty of this tranquility is fascinating. Hualien’s Shitipin has the most beautiful coral reefs on the east coast, and is suitable for diving.
Shilang Diving Area
Since the Kuroshio Current flows northward in the nearby area, the waves are more stable than Da Bai Sha. There are diverse atoll coral reefs, rendering the place a world-class diving paradise. It is also the most famous and convenient snorkeling spot. The coral reefs on the shore and the coral reefs in the shallow bay are closely connected. Meanwhile, the intertidal zone has an active ecosystem with precious hard and soft corals and small fish swimming in between, which creates an elegant undersea scene. Every April, you can see schools of flying fish jumping on the surface of the sea; the beauty and tranquility are fascinating.
Shitiping is located south of Fengbin Township, Hualien County. If you travel along Provincial Highway 11, you will see the magnificent mountain and sea views along the way. Shitiping has the most beautiful coral reef landforms and oceanic trenches on the east coast. The ocean is clear and transparent. The animals in the water are highly visible and there is also an abundant coastal ecosystem, rendering the place a perfect destination for diving activities.
When the strong wind from the southwest strikes Green Island from June to August every year, it is advisable to go snorkeling in the Chai Kou Snorkeling Area since it is on the sheltered side. Apart from the well-known Da Bai Sha, Shilang, and Chai Kou on Green Island, East Coast National Scenic Area of Tourism Bureau also built paths leading to the ocean for divers and snorkelers. These paths are meant to protect the reefs covered by corals from human impact.
- Do not go diving after drinking alcoholic beverages.
- Before you dive into the water, you must first check the effectiveness of your equipment and make sure you know how to use it.
- When going scuba diving, you must follow the scheduled diving plan. The maximum depth to which you dive must not exceed the level for which you are trained and your experience.
- Before you dive into the water, you must first assess the waves, water temperatures, direction of tides, flow rate, landforms, and geological features. Or you can ask an experienced local diver to explain the diving conditions of the spot.
- When joining activities provided by a company, make sure the company is certified and covered by a public liability insurance policy (personal death/injury benefit should be more than NTD 3 million). Also check the effectiveness of the provided safety equipment.
- Those who go scuba diving must have taken diving lessons and obtained certification. You must go in pairs. Do not go scuba diving by yourself. Also, you must put up a scuba flag in the diving area for safety.
- Expectant mothers and those with heart problems, high blood pressure, epilepsy, or asthma, are advised not to dive. Please evaluate your own health and physical condition first to see if you are suitable for diving.
- If you join a scuba diving activity provided by a company, the coach must hold a diving coach certificate issued by a domestic or foreign diver certification organization (one coach can only guide up to 8 people).
- Do not hunt fish, shells, shrimps, crabs, and mollusks. Do not damage or trample on the coral reefs at sea.
- Do not touch any unknown marine life.
- Do not violate the restrictions on the areas, times, and activities stipulated by the authority governing the recreational activities in that sea area.
Green Island Visitor Center → Shilang Diving Area → Dabaisha → Ziping
Fanchuanbi Grassland → Zhaori Hot Spring → Pekingese Dog & Sleeping Beauty → Green Island Lighthouse